Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Cosmas and Damian church
The stone church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian (aka "on Rzhyshchi", "on Shubin", "behind gold bars", “behind Gagarin's court") was located in Stoleshnikov alley since 1626. Before that there was a wooden temple, which still remembered Dmitry Donskoy. Not far from the church there was a court of noble Ioakinf Shuba in the XIV century. Ioakinf Shuba "sealed by the testaments of the Dmitry Donskoy ", hence the name of the church - the church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian in Shubin.
The church has survived fires and destruction, but always recovered - even despite Peter the Great’s prohibition to construct stone building in Moscow. The church spared a fire in 1812 allthough the entire surrounding area was burned.
However, 1812 was a sad year for the church: Napoleon's soldiers extrajudicially executed "Moscow burners” by the walls of the Church in September. "Innocent victims suffered death by the icon of the Savior on the wall of the church.”
Resurrection aisle was added to the temple In 1822. Church of the Resurrection at Big Dmitrijevka burn down in 1812 and parish were transferred to the church of Cosmas and Damian. Construction of the new aisle was conducted under the supervision of the architect AF Elkinsky (1788-1827) at the parishioners and benefactors expense. Main apse of the temple was redesigned, and the bell tower acquired a classic look. Octagonal bell tower "was surrounded by Tuscan columns".
However, bell tower had to rebuild again in the years 1857-1858. It was demolished down to the first tier and rebuild again. During the restructuring south aisle dedicated to Sts. Cosmas and Damian was added at the expense of brothers Ivan and Alexander Borisov.
Bell tower and a new south aisle were built in the pseudo-style; in part they have survived to the present day. Borisovskie also funded a cast 8 of temple bells. In the 1887-1889 years. The dome, the walls of the temple and the altar were painted with oil painting at the expense of other parishioners - merchant Vostriakov and his wife, nee Khludov.
In the 1910-1920-s. famous composer Paul G. Chesnokov become a regent of the temple. Apparently, he read the burial service, 8 (21 ) March 1916 the great Russian painter Vladimir Surikov , who died on March 6 in a nearby building of hotel "Dresden".
However the revolution has not spared the temple. It was broken and closed in 1922 and in 1933 the bell tower dismantled down to the lower level. The building was adapted for the Library of Foreign Literature. The question about the demolition of the church in Stoleshnikov arose in 1958; it was decided to erect a multi-storey residential building. Fortunately, the project was not implemented.
Part of the church building was renovated in 1970s. Then design of octagonal cupola with (this is the way it looked at 1867-s photos)was restored. However, the restoration did not mean the transfer of the building to church. The print house of the Economic Department of the Ministry of Culture of the USSR was placed here in 1980-90-s and only in 1991 in a church worship service resumed.